34-year-old Man Accused Of Racial Abuse & Assault, Found Dead Inside Bedok Flat

A Singaporean man aged 34 accused of committing racially charged offences, verbal abuse case, as well as assault at the East Coast Park last year was found motionless in one of the flats at Block 38 Bedok South Road.

According to The Straits Time, the police said that officers were alerted to a case of unnatural death at Block 38 Bedok South Road at around 7.20pm on May 5.

They added that the man was found motionless in one of the flats and a paramedic later pronounced him dead at the scene. A police spokesman said they do not suspect foul play and investigations are ongoing. The police did not disclose details of how he died.

Mohamad Aris Anwar Ali was facing three charges, one count of assaulting a man in a racially aggravated attack and two counts of uttering words with the deliberate intention to wound the racial feelings of others, according to The Straits Times.

This means that Mohamad Aris Anwar Ali’s court proceedings over his three charges have come to an end & all his charges abated on May 23 due to his death.

According to Mothership, Aris had allegedly verbally abused a total of seven people at East Coast Park. He first hurled racial slurs at four people, and did the same to another group of three around 40 minutes later.

Aris is also accused of punching and kicking university student Keane Teo, then 21, at 1.50am that day. The incident left Mr Teo with bruises on his face and abdomen.

One of the persons in the second group was then-21-year-old Keane Teo & his mother told Mothership back in 2021 that Teo and his friends were about to head home at around 1:50am after some night cycling when they encountered Aris.

His mother, housewife Eileen Lee, however, had told ST that Mr Teo was cycling with a friend at the park when they decided to cut short their outing after one of the bicycles had a flat tyre. They then phoned another friend to get a lift home.

Aris allegedly hurled vulgarities at them, calling them “Chinese dogs” and asked them to “go back to China”.

When Teo confronted Aris to ask him to stop and leave them alone, Aris allegedly punched and kicked him, causing him to fall on his back. A police report was made and Aris left before the police arrived.

Teo was conveyed to the hospital, and Aris was later arrested.

For each count of uttering words with deliberate intention to wound the racial feelings of others, an offender can be jailed for up to three years and fined. And for assaulting a victim in a racially aggravated attack, an offender can be jailed for up to 4 ½ years and fined up to $7,500.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts