A 34-year-old man is set to face charges on Wednesday (Jan 24) for allegedly attempting to murder a 77-year-old woman in Serangoon. The incident came to light when the police were alerted to an assault case at a residential unit along Serangoon Central.
According to preliminary investigations, on January 16, the suspect reportedly pressed a pillow over the elderly woman’s face while she lay sleeping, allegedly with the intention to put an end to her life. Swift action by the authorities led to the man’s subsequent arrest.
In a statement, the police revealed that both the accused and the victim were acquainted with one another, although the exact nature of their relationship remains undisclosed.
“Both parties are known to each other,” the police added.
The offense of attempted murder, coupled with inflicting harm on an individual, carries severe penalties. Convicted offenders may face life imprisonment and caning, or a maximum of 20 years in jail, coupled with a fine or caning, or both.
Image for illustration purpose only
- Leong Mun Wai Steps Down as PSP Secretary-General Over POFMA Order
- Singaporean Woman Dies in Go-Karting Accident in Batam, Indonesia
- Former Kinderland educator given conditional warning for child mismanagement ; Kinderland fined $5000
- MOH to introduce $100,000 retention scheme for nurses in public healthcare system
- Singaporean man jailed for pressing bolster onto housemate’s face