The 28-year-old Local rapper Subhas Nair is set to plead guilty to attempting to promote feelings of ill will on the grounds of religion and race, according to CNA.
Subhas Nair faces four charges of attempting to promote feelings of ill will on grounds of religion & race on total four occasions between year 2019 (July) and 2021 (March).
Subhas Nair is currently out on bail of $10,000.
FOUR CHARGES :
- Happened in July 2019, Subhas Nair published a rap video where the video was described to be racially charged and attempted to promote feelings of ill will on the grounds of religion and race.
For this case, he was given 24-month conditional warning with a terms : if he does the same thing again he may be prosecuted for the original one for which he was given warning and on top of that he will be prosecuted for the new offences.
- Happened On Jul 25, 2020, he allegedly wrote on Instagram : “If two Malay Muslims made a video promoting Islam and saying the kind of hateful things these Chinese Christians said, ISD would have been at the door before they even hit ‘upload’.” This was in response to a video of Chinese Christians who made hateful comments against another community.
- In relation to the alleged murder at Orchard Towers happened on Jul 2, 2019. Subhas Nair claimed that one of the accused Chinese man involved in the death of an Indian man received lenient treatment by authorities because of his race, as reported by CNA.
Here’s what he wrote on Instagram : “Calling out racism and Chinese privilege = two year conditional warning and smear campaign in the media. Actually conspiring to murder an Indian man = Half the sentence and ‘You’re having a baby soon right? Boy or girl?’ Do you actually think a brown person would get asked these type of questions? This place is just not for us”.
- Displayed a cartoon drawing containing the same text he wrote on Instagram as mentioned above over Orchard Towers Murder incident. While Subhas Nair was already under investigation for his comment on Orchard Towers incident again he displayed a cartoon.
Subhas Nair is set to plead guilty on April 29, 2022. If convicted of attempting to promote feelings of ill will between different groups on grounds of religion or race, offender could be jailed for up to three years and fined per charge.
Image : Subhas Nair/Twitter
- Serial Shop Thief Sentenced to Eight Months’ Jail
- Heartbreaking : Three Week Old Infant & Mother Found Dead at The Foot Of HDB Block In Ghim Moh
- Three Teenagers Arrested For Suspected Theft of Lorry From Carpark
- Man Who Sued Woman for S$3 Million for Friend-Zoning, Now Accused of Cheating in Separate Case
- River Valley Murder : Teen Sentenced To 16-years In Jail For Brutal Murder Of 13-year-old Boy