Singaporean Dies from High Altitude Sickness On Mount Kilimanjaro


A brave attempt to conquer Africa’s tallest mountain, Mount Kilimanjaro, took a heartbreaking turn for a 28-year-old Singaporean adventurer named Darrel Phee Chin Ann.

According to reports, Darrel Phee’s adventure, organized by a travel group called Adventures Unlimited, ended in tragedy due to a condition called high altitude pulmonary edema (HAPE) and lack of oxygen.

HAPE happens when fluid builds up in the lungs, making it hard to breathe. Sadly, Phee’s dream was cut short because of these health problems that can happen at high altitudes.

A post on by local travel agency Adventures Unlimited’s Facebook page from August 2nd showed Phee and his fellow climbers getting ready at the airport for the exciting journey. The post talked about how they were not only aiming to reach the summit but also challenging themselves in the process.

Even though Phee’s health was carefully checked, things took a bad turn on the morning of the final climb. For his safety, he was brought back to a lower point on the mountain when his oxygen levels dropped and heart rate went up.

Despite this, his condition got worse, and sadly, he passed away.

  • Mount Kilimanjaro stands at a huge 5,895 meters above sea level and attracts adventurous people from all around. But it’s not an easy climb; more than half of the climbers face problems like feeling sick due to the high altitude. The journey is tough, especially because of the high altitude. The likelihood of fatal accidents on Mount Kilimanjaro is minimal, as indicated in the Facebook post by Adventures Unlimited, with a probability of less than 1 percent.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) sent their condolences to Phee’s family and offered help.

Answering CNA’s inquiries, a representative from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MFA) conveyed on Sunday (August 13th) that they are providing consular aid and support to the grieving family. The MFA also expressed its heartfelt sympathies to the bereaved family.


This marks the second mountaineering incident impacting a Singaporean individual this year. In May, Mr. Shrinivas Sainis Dattatraya, aged 39, went missing after successfully reaching the peak of Mount Everest, renowned as the planet’s highest mountain at an elevation of 8,849 meters. In a telephone conversation with his wife, he disclosed that he was grappling with high-altitude cerebral edema (HACE) and was unable to descend from the mountain.

Despite extensive search and rescue efforts, the missing Singaporean climber, Shrinivas Sainis Dattatraya, who successfully reached Mount Everest’s summit, remained unlocated, as stated by his wife, Madam Sushma Soma. In an emotional Instagram post, she celebrated his fearless and adventurous spirit, sharing images of his mountainous achievements.

Shrinivas, 39, conquered Everest on May 19 but suffered from high-altitude cerebral edema, making his descent unlikely. Sherpa teams scoured for him, while he aimed to become the first Singaporean Indian to summit both Everest and Mount Lhotse in a single expedition.

Read Trending News

Follow us on Instagramtelegram

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts