A 37-year-old man was detained by police on a Singapore Airlines flight after he allegedly assaulted flight attendants and claimed to have a bomb in his carry-on bag. The incident happened last month on Wednesday (Sep 28).
The American La Andy Hien Duc allegedly shouted that there was a bomb on the plane & slapped a man on plane.
According to The Straits Times report, La Andy Hien Duc, 37, is expected to plead guilty on Nov 4 to a charge of slapping a man while travelling on board SIA flight SQ33 from San Francisco to Singapore.
STERN WARNING
On Thursday, Deputy Public Prosecutor Lim Ying Min said that the prosecution intends to issue a stern warning to Hien Duc after reviewing a report from the Institute of Mental Health (IMH), ST reported. Hien Duc’s lawyer told The Straits Times that his client has been diagnosed with “schizophrenia”.
In a written submissions, DPP Lim said the IMH psychiatrist had assessed that Hien Duc posed a danger to the public.
“The stressors of being in a foreign country, including the fact that he has no fixed place to stay and no one to monitor his compliance with his medications, are risk factors for relapse,” she added.
The flight was scheduled to arrive in Singapore at 5am on Sept 28.
Preliminary investigations revealed that nearly six hours out from the plane’s arrival in Singapore, the man claimed there was a bomb in a hand-carry bag.
He then grabbed another passenger’s luggage from the cabin’s overhead compartment. When a cabin crew tried to intervene and restrain him, Hien Duc allegedly assaulted him.
Checks by the cabin crew did not reveal any suspicious items in the passenger’s luggage.
Police were alerted to the alleged bomb threat and SQ33 was escorted to Changi Airport by Republic of Singapore Air Force fighter jets.
Units from the Airport Police Division and Special Operations Command’s K-9 Unit, as well as the Singapore Armed Forces’ Chemical, Biological, Radiological and Explosives Defence Group, were mobilised to investigate and the threat turned out to be “false”.Hien Duc will return to court to plead guilty on Nov 4.
For voluntarily causing hurt, he can be jailed for up to three years, fined up to $5,000, or both.
- Singapore Man Jailed After Racially Abusing Jewish Boy Wearing Kippah
- Woman Caught With Etomidate Vape Pods at Same Club Twice, Sent for Reformative Training
- Man Admits Installing Spy Cameras for Live “Upskirt” Feed at Workplace
- Woman Jailed for Possessing Military Bullet and Attempting to Build 3D-Printed Gun
- Man Sentenced to Jail for Secretly Filming Sleeping Topless Colleague