Man Who Dropped Lit Cigarette In SG Charged, Can Be Jailed Up To 18 Months

A 63-year-old man named Loh Fu Wah, was charged in court on Monday (Dec 12) with causing a fire by dropping a lit cigarette on a floor that had kerosene on it.

According to CNA, the man was handed one count of negligently causing a fire at Block 941, Tampines Avenue 5, on Jan 28 this year.


According to the charge sheet, he is accused of dropping a lighted cigarette into kerosene-covered flooring in a bedroom. The fire caused damage to the unit’s common corridor and 10th-floor flat.

According to Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF),’s Facebook post on January 29 it was alerted to a fire at Block 941, Tampines Avenue 5, on Jan 28 this year.

“Upon SCDF’s arrival, the fire was raging and had totally engulfed a two-storey unit on the 10th floor. Firefighters from Tampines Fire Station and Changi Fire Station had to conduct forcible entry to gain access into the unit”, SCDF said in its Facebook Post.

“While conducting firefighting operations within the unit, firefighters also conducted forcible entry into a bedroom on the first storey, and found a man lying unconscious on the floor. The firefighters immediately rescued him out of the burning unit”, SCDF added.

An SCDF ambulance crew assessed the rescued man and conveyed him to Changi General Hospital. The fire, which involved contents of the entire unit, was extinguished with two water jets.

About 180 people from neighbouring units were evacuated as a precautionary measure, according to SCDF.

Loh intends to plead guilty and will return to court next month to do so. If convicted of negligently causing a fire, he can be jailed for up to 18 months, fined, or both.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Related Posts